Dirt, dinos, delicious treats you can easily make (and devour!) is the perfect equation to a kid-friendly recipe!
I absolutely love making things to eat in the kitchen with my boys. Whether the end result is a yummy treat, nourishing meal, snack or burned toast, I know that we will walk away from that experience with memories.
Well… this kid’s recipe it just about foolproof, so in this case, I know you will walk away with a sweet treat. Now it’s just up to you to make those memories happen!
The Ultimate Dinosaur Dirt Bars Recipe
Besides the ingredients listed below, you will also need a few extra goodies to garnish your dinosaur bars recipe creation. Here are the items I used, and a few extra if you want to get a little crazy 😉
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 bag (8 oz) Kit Kat Bites
- 1 bag (10 oz) Butterfinger Bites
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 20 Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (such as Oreos)
- Tiny toy dinosaurs to garnish
- Chocolate rocks to garnish
- In a food processor, process 20 sandwich cookies to create about 2-1/2 cups of finely crushed cookies. If you do not have a food processor, you can easily crush your cookies by placing them in a ziplock bag and rolling a rolling pin over the bag. Set crushed cookies aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil, wrapping the foil around the edges of the pan and up the sides. Spray the pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla until mixed well, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg yolks and beat until combined. Add the flour, while beating slowly until the mix is crumbly. Press batter into the bottom of your prepared pan.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until the edges are light brown. Remove from oven.
- Pour condensed milk over the hot crust and spread evenly. Create columns in your pan and layer kit kat bars and butterfinger bites. Alternate layers. For example: I had 9 columns, the first had 8 kit kat bites, the second had 8 butterfinger bites, then another column of 8 kit kat bites, 8 butterfinger bites and so on. The candies were not touching each other.
- Once all of your candies are in their columns, sprinkle chocolate chips in between candies. Take 2 cups of crushed cookies and sprinkle them evenly over the candies, covering everything and making your top dirt layer.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until tiny bubbles begin to form around the edges. Remove from oven and cool for about five minutes. Add remaining crumbs to cover the bubbles if necessary.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares. To cut, lift the foil out of the pan with the bars, place onto cutting board. Cut into 24-2" squares or 48-1" squares.
- Garnish tops with gummy worms and chocolate rocks